Date Posted: February 02, 2017
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Job Id: 7435
Senior Thermal Engineer
- Designing, developing and testing thermal solutions for both convection and conduction cooled products.
- Liaising with the hardware and PCB design engineers to agree optimal thermal layout and mechanical construction of the boards.
- Simulating and analysing thermal performance of the products using Flotherm XT, and implementing any necessary corrections.
- Developing and improving our mechanical design procedures and practises.
- Thermal and mechanical testing of new products and components.
- Maintaining awareness of new technologies.
- Reporting to the local Engineering Manager.
Candidates should be Mechanical engineering graduates (BS or MS), able to demonstrate practical post graduate involvement in embedded electronic product design, and be familiar with most or all of the following (in approximately descending order of priority):
- Designing thermal solutions for both convection cooled and conduction cooled electronic products, for both military and commercial environments.
- Analysis of thermal characteristics at component level in excess of 40W, and at board level in excess of 60W.
- Mechanical design skills, including but not limited to solid model design of heat sinks, conduction cooled heat frames, PCB accessories and test equipment.
- Must have Solidworks modelling experience as well as the ability to document designs in 2D drawing format
- Must follow a clear thermal design process.
- Experience with Thermal Interface Materials and their effect on component temperature.
- Familiarity with standard form factor designs, e.g. Open VPX (3U and 6U) or VME.
- Knowledge of VITA standards.
- Knowledge of MIL-STD-810.
- Ability to interface with remote design teams
- An awareness of CAM software and CNC machining processes.