Date Posted: November 14, 2017
Employment Type: Contract To Hire
Job Id: 8004
MECHANICAL DESIGNER I
6 Months Temp to Perm
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for the layout and detailed mechanical design and documentation of subsystems and sub-assemblies.
- Investigates pertinent design factors such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, interchangeability, strength-weight efficiency, contractual specification and cost.
- Checks completed layouts and drawings for clarity, completeness and conformity to standard procedures and practices.
- Confers with engineers on design problems and recommends design process and procedure changes
- Recommends materials and components for inclusion in design specifications based on past experience and on catalogue reference data.
- Assures that complete, accurate parts lists are prepared.
- Strong understanding of preparing sub-system and detail drawings /models applying large CAD Model assembly management skills.
- Makes complex alterations to drawings/models that may involve the redesign of equipment, mechanisms, or plumbing schematics.
- Actively participate in design reviews.
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering to insure designs are optimized using DFMA.
- Duties are performed under close supervision by more senior engineering staff
- Work is performed in a timely manner according to schedule dates and commitments.
Skills and knowledge
- Knowledge of ISO, ASME Y14 'Drafting and Document' standards, and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing required.
- Minimum of 2 years machine design and Solid Model CAD experience required.
- ProE/CREO experience highly preferred.
- Sheet metal & machine part design required.
- Capital equipment, machine automation, conveyor system design experience, highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Vantage or similar production control (MRP) software strongly preferred.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are required
Education and experience
- Vocational / technical education with courses in drafting and mechanical design, or equivalent training, and Associates Degree.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience in mechanical design.