Date Posted: August 09, 2017
Employment Type: Contract
Job Id: 7815
Function as electrical design lead on one or more projects with limited oversight and guidance from Electrical Systems/Chief engineer. Detailed design, manufacture, assembly, integration, test, and support of electrical and electronic hardware for support of space-based and ground-based astrophysical and astronomical research instrumentation. Assignments will include low noise, low power, high reliability circuits for space applications and may also include other diverse areas of electronics design.
- Knowledge of basic electronics engineering principles and practices.
- Mastery of schematic capture using programs such as Mentor Graphics DxDesigner (Viewdraw), Orcad Capture or similar. SolidWorks Electrical experience preferred.
- Experience with electrical board layout packages such as Mentor Graphics PADS PCB, Orcad PCB Designer or similar. Ability to learn additional CAD packages as required.
- Experience with 3D packaging, layout, and routing experience with SolidWorks 3D/Routing highly desirable.
- Ability to select reasonable non-critical parts for developmental electrical test and prototype systems.
- Specialized knowledge of design for manufacturing and assembly.
- Experience with industrial automation electronics and standards (Beckhoff products, EtherCAT, etc) desirable.
- Specialized knowledge of other technical areas such as optics, high vacuum, thermal controls, electro?mechanical printed circuit design, materials and/or environmental testing is desirable.
- Ability to use technical mathematics.
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel)
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a design team consisting of engineers, scientists, designers, and detail drafters.
- Supports design of electronic test, ground support, and flight/on-sky hardware for ground based telescopes.
- Prepares formal schematics, parts/materials lists, and component assembly drawings from preliminary sketches or verbal instructions. Prepares formal drawings and bills of materials for simple and complex cable assemblies.
- Assures that all drawings conform to specifications including MIL-STD-100, MIL-T-31000, and ANSI – Y – 14; include appropriate process and materials specifications and parts lists; and satisfy all stated quality assurance and/or reliability requirements.
- Provides technical support to technicians during hardware assembly.
- Performs basic checking of electrical circuits and systems designs. Assists engineers in the design and construction of lab bench test setups for the evaluation of both purchased and in-house-designed instrument system components.
- Organizes and maintains electrical CAD libraries for multiple CAD packages. Creates new symbols and parts types as needed.
- Provides technical input to vendor identification and parts, components, and connectors’ selection. Prepares procurement specifications.
- Incorporates ECO’s and DCR’s into related drawings and other engineering documentation. Maintains appropriate configuration controls.
- Transfers files to and from the Configuration Control Database and generates CAM and plot files as required.
- Supports engineering design reviews, CCB’s and technical meetings as required.