Date Posted: September 16, 2016
Employment Type: Direct Hire
Job Id: 7121
Purpose of Role:
Primary: Produce Design information from Customer Requirements to facilitate effective production of manufacturing drawings and design specifications for slip ring manufacturing and assembly.
Secondary: Act as Technical Lead on projects to guide Design engineers and production personnel, and provide input to production planning to facilitate effective resource allocation, timetables and the management of customer expectations.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
1. Design Specification:
- Identify project and drawing requirements and produce design layout based on specifications received either at or in advance of client meetings.
- Refine drawings and specifications in accordance with Client requirements.
- Coordinate with Technical manager to identify and allocate appropriate project resources to undertake design drawing work.
- Create Detail Design plans and Drawings for selected or complex projects.
- Check and approve drawings produced by Design Engineer and CAD/Drafter prior to drawings being issued to production by CAD/Drafter
2. Technical Support:
- Act as technical lead on design projects and provide general and project based technical guidance to
- Design Engineers and CAD/Drafter
- Act as technical lead on projects in production to resolve assembly and manufacturing issues as required.
- Liaise with Production Engineer on production process planning to ensure specifications can be met and optimum production processes employed.
3. Customer Liaison
- Face to face and other communications with Customer to refine preliminary design layout and finalize project specifications.
- Continuous liaison with customer to refine project specifications and provide progress updates.
- Liaison with Sales team to enable them to maintain effective customer relationships and progress updates.
- Management of cost implications arising from design and process recommendations to ensure competitive pricing and operational efficiency.
- Liaise with finance and Purchasing functions to manage budgets and obtain optimum materials.
5. Standards and Design Records:
- Provide guidance to CAD/Drafter in connection with Archiving and standards maintenance.
- In principle the incumbent will focus on one project at a time. However, business demand may require that a manageable number of projects are run in parallel in order to satisfy customer expectations and SSL's reputation as an effective partner capable of ensuring on-time delivery.
Knowledge and Experience:
- BS Mechanical Engineering
- Apprenticeship or four years hands-on engineering experience (Machining or Assembly)
- Minimum of 2 or 3 years Design experience
- Good relationship building skills
- Effective listening skills in order to understand technical detail and customer requirements
- CAD design system experience and ability to accurately complete simple engineering calculations.
- Good communication skills for internal and external liaison.
- Basic PC skills for word processing and spreadsheets (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Autonomy, Complexity & Decision Making:
- This role carries significant autonomy as well as joint responsibility with the Sales team for the management of relationships with customers and agreement of project specifications.
- The incumbent is responsible for the technical expertise required to identify the demands of the drawing and specification requirement of the projects undertaken.
- The role acts with shared responsibility for production planning and resource allocation along with the Production Engineers managing process engineering and production planning.